Friday 28 April 2017

Moments of Sense and Style's Syreeta Chats with me About her Personal Journey and The Creation of MOSS

I caught up with the founder of Moments of Sense and Style's Syreeta, a city girl whose world was turned upside down by a tragic event, her partner Rob suffered from a brain hemorrhage that has ultimately left her as his full-time carer. The foundation of the MOSS story is such an emotional journey, I wanted to share it with all of you. The first of her products is called the Foundation collection, three beautiful smelling candles that recreate a place in time, a memory, and take you on her journey. 

Could you tell us a bit about yourself, previous work, where you’ve lived?
I’m an urban nomad, a curious soul who has lived and worked in London, Manchester, Shanghai and most recently, Hong Kong.  Previously, my life was fast-paced, traveling the world and frankly, having a bloody brilliant time! Working hard and playing hard too.  I loved my job in Fashion; I’ve been in product design and development for the last 13 years, working with global brands.  My last role was a lot of fun, developing bags and accessories for high street names. 
How have you found the move to Lincoln? It must feel very different from the hustle and bustle of the cities that you’ve both worked in.
Absolutely.  I can’t deny that it’s been quite an adjustment and to an extent, it still is.  I’m a city girl, who loves nature and the countryside too but I’ve always had a good balance of city hustle bustle with lush escapes. Yin and Yang.  Especially when in Manchester or Hong Kong as the hills are on your doorstep. Lincoln in comparison is quite sleepy and very different, which is heightened when you don’t know anyone. It’s little things like pace of life, diversity of food, people, the shops closing early, well compared to what I’m used to, but the city is evolving. Great things are happening and I’m starting to make solid connections and scratching the surface a little. There are lots of like minded folk, it’s just not as easy to find them!
The MOSS ethos is so beautiful, was there a specific moment that inspired it?
Thank you, it’s wonderful to hear as it’s such a personal journey that has brought us to this point. I was at my darkest hour last year; struggling to find work.  I knew I had to have an outlet, and found an old sketchbook where Rob and I had doodled the idea of MOSS, long before Sydney.  That’s when I started to curate and write our blog of the same name.  A Tumblr, a visual and written account of our story.  I had a notion of what I could do but hadn’t quite pinned it down.  I lacked the confidence.  It’s quite a feat; how does one start life again, on every single level?  Blogging was cathartic and helped me find my path and curate the style and my thoughts. It helped me come to terms with all that had happened and a rolling stone gathers no moss; my life is different now and perhaps that wasn’t a bad thing, it was time for me to stay still and lay down some roots.
Myself, and I’m sure many others, are in awe of your journey, what triggered your creation of MOSS?
All whilst blogging, I had the seed of an idea of at the back of my mind for a while but wasn’t sure how to articulate it and hadn’t explored it, just continued to blog whilst supporting Rob through his intensive therapies.  It was whilst in London, my hometown, last summer when Rob was having some treatment which freed up a few hours of the day for me.  It gave me the thinking space I needed.  

I was fed up of hearing I was under-qualified, over-qualified or there were no jobs matching my skill set.  Whether it be career specific roles or even simpler jobs such as working in bars and or local stores.  When I did go for career position interviews further afield, my global experience seemed to intimidate them. All the rejection really does crush your spirit.

Not really knowing what I was going to do next, after months of job and soul-searching, seeking new opportunities or lines of work, I decided to go to Paris.  I had the notion that if I could get to the Paris trade fairs, as I would have gone to if I’d still been working, it would keep me focussed, offer some routine and, I suppose, inspiration.  The trip gave me a boost.  It suddenly made sense to start on my own.

What is a typical day in the life of Syreeta? Is there a typical structure, or does it change week to week? 
It is extremely fluid, as ultimately my full-time role is Rob’s carer, therefore it tends to change from week to week. My only full day to myself at the moment is Wednesday!  However, I do my utmost to work around it all.  Rob is making great progress and I recently took on a small studio of my own to work from, which is a huge step and I am now able to focus. It’s time to create a solid routine for myself and the business.  
At the moment your Foundation collection includes three scented candles. Could you tell us a little bit more about the names and what they individually evoke?
Each one is integral to our story.  No.1 is based on Hong Kong; the city where Rob and I met.  It’s called ‘Wander to Man Mo Temple’ and is reminiscent of the incense burnt there which you smell on a daily basis.  Hong Kong is a wonderful mix of old and new and Man Mo temple has survived whilst tower blocks and new developments have grown around it. We walked passed the temple almost every day, it’s ingrained in my memory. A truly comforting traditional smell amongst the modern and hustle that is the city. Our version is a little sweeter, yet still retains the smokey spice and takes you straight to a tranquil temple.
No.2 ‘Sydney in Springtime’ is based on the point at which our life changed. We went on holiday to Sydney and only had one magical day before our lives changed. We explored the city on bikes, our stomachs as our compass. It was a sunny and crisp day, filled with pottering and bakeries. The smell of the sea on the breeze, that wind burnt our cheeks. The scent is amber based with salt and zest. It evokes notions of freshness and vitality, the exhilarating feeling we all get when spring and change is in the air.
No. 3 ‘Doddington on an Autumn Morning’, is an ode to where we find ourselves now, a lovely spot in Lincolnshire. Autumn is also my favourite time of year, the change of seasons. It’s a sweet scent, of fig and berries, reminiscent of walking across wet mulchy fields, covered in dew.  A reminder of the beauty of the seasons and to appreciate the pace of nature; the gentle moments in life and the transience of us all.
Each candle comes with a keepsake card, a shot of each place, to allow you to enjoy the journey too. The packaging transcends gender, all super simple and neutral, they work for anyone, any time of the year.
I love the journal that you write on your web-page, that allows us to follow your story. Do you have a certain period in which you update this, or is it whenever you feel inspired/get the time? 
At the moment it’s whenever I find the time or I am inspired to share something.  Especially as life as a carer isn’t the most glamorous or adventurous.  Each journal entry is to share some news or something we enjoy that aligns with our ethos of being considered; a thought piece or informative.  I am striving to ensure this becomes a bi-monthly post at the very least, as I would love to push this aspect a bit more.
How is Rob progressing at the moment? Are there any goals you currently have insight?
Rob is making incredible progress, especially to think of where he was when he came out of his coma, with no speech and full right side paralysis. It’s mind blowing, a solid team effort. It is a bit of a dance; we step sideways, and some days it feels like we take several back, but right now we seem to be moving forward, which is fantastic. Ultimately, every day is an achievement and a gift when you experience such trauma, and we continue to make each other laugh and smile.  A great goal is for Rob to be able to contribute to the brand and assist where he can, as his background is Design too. But more importantly to him, I think his next priority is getting stable enough to get back on a bike!
What are your plans for the development of MOSS? Will you be adding to the products which complete the collection? 
The brand will evolve at our own pace, however, the next line is to launch imminently; a range of handmade notebooks, three colours inspired by each location of the scented candles. The paper and production all within an hour away from us which is wonderful.  
I have plans to develop more products in the future too, the next goal to be leather goods. Bags are my true passion and the one product area I truly miss working on.  All products will be in keeping with our ethos and I aim to support factories at home after years of working abroad. I wish to invest my knowledge and expertise back into the UK.

Are there any other lifestyle brands that you idolise and draw inspiration from? 
There are many I revere, from products at Hay, Tom Dixon through to Aesop. Aesop would be my stand out brand as their product is divine and their style is so well recognised, yet every store is unique. Their storytelling throughout their shops are specific to each location and are understatedly beautiful. I also love the concept of Alex Eagle, she’s my current style crush, her eye is fantastic. I love the simplicity and considered eco concept of Reformation clothing too; eco-fashion can be sexy!
From a blogging angle, Garance Dore is wonderful and super stylish. I’ve been following her for years and it’s great to have followed her journey as she has grown into a complete movement.
If you could sum yourself up in one sentence, how would you describe your personality? 
Fiercely loyal and honest, with an open heart and open mind; doing the best I can, playing the cards that I’ve been dealt.
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I’m really looking forward to watching the company, and your journey, take its course and flourish. 

SHARE:
© In The Life Of.... All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig